Businesses that reduce the amount of waste they send to landfills are not only saving payments for rubbish removal in Sydney, they also support the city’s zero waste campaign. The campaign is meant to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and soil, air and water pollution coming from the waste streams in the landfills.
If your business doesn’t have an effective waste reduction program in place yet, the following is a few strategies that can help your business reduce its rubbish removal in Sydney:
- Determine the types and quantities of waste by looking at all the rubbish containers. You can also download Bin Trim, a tool that helps the users identify and measure their waste, define an appropriate action plan to reduce waste and some pieces of advice about how to reuse and recycle waste.
- Set up a Waste Reduction Program with a waste management coordinator to manage all the company’s waste reduction activities applicable to the business. Choose a program that includes a waste management audit to monitor your progress in reducing waste to the landfill.The program should also include an effective segregation system to be followed by all employees and customers if necessary.
- Products waste review to determine the waste generated in producing, packaging and distributing the products. If you are in the manufacturing business, think of the waste generated from using your product and how you can reduce it.
For example, if you deliver your bottled product to retailers in boxes made of corrugated cardboard, replacing it with reusable plastic shipping boxes will prevent a lot of scrap cardboard in the landfills.
Some practical waste reduction examples:
Here are some examples of how different types of businesses reuse and recycle to reduce their waste to the landfills.
- Install and maintain drinking fountains in the workplace and discourage employees from bringing drinking water in plastic containers. While the plastic used in drinking water bottles is recyclable it does not usually happen and the majority of them end up in the landfills.
- The average waste from restaurants or cafés consists of paper and cardboard, food waste, glass and plastic. Paper, cardboard and some plastic items are recyclable while food waste can be composted. If there is no space for composting they can contact a compost service provider in Sydney or buy worm farms which contain tiger worms and red wrigglers that eat food waste.A fruit and vegetable store can also significantly reduce the amount of waste it sends to the landfill by composting all discarded fruits, vegetables and other biodegradable waste.
- The typical waste from business offices consists of about 75 per cent cardboard and paper. They are recyclable but the company can save money from fees for rubbish removal in Sydney as well as the cost of paper and printing ink by going paperless.The company also saves space for storing various paper files.
It is important that a business implements the appropriate waste management strategies not only to reduce waste to the landfills but also to save on expenses. Aus Rubbish Removals can provide more waste management tips for your business, as well as providing waste removal services for your business. Contact us today.